Wednesday 7 May 2014

...a fistful of clock towers...




When Peter at Downham's one and only Mackies Card and Stationary shop suggested my third 'Downham Market & Ely 2015 Calendar' should include a new drawing of the iconic Downham Market Clock Tower, my first reaction - having drawn it four or five times previously ( and enjoyed doing so on those occasions), was 'Can I muster the enthusiasm and motivation to do it again?' And perhaps, more to the point - '...was there a view I hadn't drawn before??'

Well, with a tip of my hat to Peter - the answer to that query is 'Yes, yes and of course there is!' 

Although I had to build up to the enthusiasm and motivation. I wanted to certainly choose a view I hadn't used before. Employing the one point perspective, looking up the High St past the Swan Hotel, Price Right Shoes, and on to the Castle Hotel achieved that purpose, as well as giving me a tremendous job of dealing with overlapping shapes receding into the background - my favourite.




Pencil layout establishing composition and general shapes...


Almost finished pencils, clarifying foreground and middle detail...


When you start to see too many pencil lines - it's time to start inking...


Second stage inks...


Start working my way up the High St and creating depth of field...


Ink the left hand side of  High St and clarify Castle Hotel in distance...


Final drawing and ink sweep  - adding clock face and shop detail etc...


Going back in a few days later to heavy up contour ink lines to reinforce the separation of the planes, and confirm fore, middle and background elements in their place...


It was when I began inking the buildings up the High St that the drawing came to life for me, and became much more enjoyable to work on, and I could see the anglepoise light at the end of the drawing board! There always seems to be a point in a drawing where you cross a line - no pun intended - and the drawing comes together and you're on the downward slope as it were. Although since it's now more fun your probably not in such a hurry to get off.

The thing is - I've now seen other views that are just as worthy of drawing...




Andy.







No comments:

Post a Comment